As a traveler, you can do your part to infuse sustainable actions into your summer vacation and other travels. There are many choices we can each make as we plan and enjoy our time away. Taking a vacation to “recharge” ourselves is a sustainable act in and of itself — to nourish our core. Below are some tips on how to weave sustainable actions into your travels. While the list below is not comprehensive, it does help get the creative juices flowing. Please do share your sustainable travel tips with us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Stay safe and have fun!
Sustainable Travel Tips:
- Stay close to home and explore off the beaten path places.
- Travel efficiently, avoiding or reducing air travel, if possible.
- Conserve energy and water and reduce waste while away. Also leave an energy and water neutral home (e.g., unplug appliances, computers, and other electrical vampires, and turn off water)
- Shop from small businesses to support local economies.
- Choose sustainable accommodations.
- Slow down. Spend time outdoors and in natural settings.
- Sight-see sustainable attractions and points of interest along the way.
- Purchase carbon offsets for flights and other travel.